by Suzanne Virgilio
Biscottis are a great cookie to make and eat morning, afternoon or evening. The salted caramel and honey pecan granola gives this biscotti a great sweet and salty flavor.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons pure maple extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Granola Factory Honey Pecan Granola
- 1 cup salted caramel (see recipe)*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Salted Caramel Ingredients
- Vegetable oil, for baking sheet
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Fleur De Sel
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Salted Caramel Directions
- Lightly brush bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch rimmed baking sheet with oil. Line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on long sides; lightly brush parchment with oil.
- Bring cream, sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel reaches 248 degrees on a candy thermometer (about 15 minutes).
- Immediately remove caramel from the heat, and stir in salt and vanilla. Pour caramel onto a baking sheet, and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
- Lifting by parchment overhang, transfer caramel to a large cutting board. Cut into 3/4-by-1 1/4-inch pieces; wrap each piece in waxed paper or cellophane.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, butter, brandy, and extracts. Beat with electric mixer until very creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time to butter/sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, Granola Factory’s Honey Pecan Granola, salted caramel, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Chill dough, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack placed in middle.
- Using lightly floured hands, halve dough and form 2 (16-by 2-inch) loaves on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until pale golden, which is about 30 minutes. Carefully transfer loaves to a rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut loaves into 3/4-inch slices with a serrated knife.
- Arrange biscotti, with a cut side down, on a clean baking sheet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Living