Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plush more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large head romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and drained again
- 1/2 cup tasted almond slices
- Arugula and Radicchio
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved
In a blender, combine the first eight vinaigrette ingredients until smooth. With the motor running slowly add the oil and blend until dressing is smooth.
Remove 6 of the romaine leaves and arrange on a platter. Chop the remaining leaves into bite-size pieces and put in a bowl with the chickpeas, arugula and radicchio. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the dressed salad over the whole leaves and scatter the almonds and parsley over top. Drizzle with more dressing before topping with Manchego and a sprinkling of paprika.
Recipe Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction, (Clarkson Potter, 2013)